In hindsight this could have been done months ago rather than wait until the Cat turned up, but 20/20 and all that.. it's done now, and it feels great to have the space opened out. I can't wait to see it all painted.
The other job I'm looking forward to is cutting through the bulkhead between the current engine room and the aft cabin. When a boat has several watertight compartments, you can't really get a sense of the interior space- you enter each room via a ladder or steps, so they seem unconnected to each other. I've been pondering the necessity of retaining the watertight bulkheads- obviously most pleasure boats don't have them, but since it would be tricky to form a passage through the engine room anyway, I've decided to keep the current arrangement of two sets of steps from the wheelhouse, one to the forward cabin and the other to what will be the galley. I think I'm also going to put in a new watertight bulkhead to seal in the engine room, as insurance against flooding (all the through-hull fittings will be confined to this space) and also as a fire break. I've just scored a nice pair of watertight doors off ebay, they came from a WW2 motor torpedo boat, and have the proper central locking wheel with 8-point locks, they come with the frames and cost much less than the steel would be to make them. I also got a pair of stainless water tanks of exactly the right size from the same bloke.. thanks eBay (again.)
Anyway, here are some pics of the cranage- I also took out the old Lister donkey engine with the compressor and water pump it used to drive, and while I had the chance I removed the anchor for shotblasting and galvanising, if it's in ok nick beneath the scale and rust.
|40 tonne crane set up (no, it's not a portakabin-crane, it's behind)|
|empty engine room|
|Lister, pump and compressor destined for eBay|
|Old bilge piping out|
|Removed bilge piping and some ballast|